View Single Post
Old 08-17-2019, 08:45 AM   #9
aweitzm1
YT 500 Club Member

Default Some good news

Just heard from the vet office about his ACTH and SMDA results

1. ACTH numbers went down . at 4 hours it was around 4 and post 2 hours it was about 6. Much better than months (those were around 9) ago so maybe we do not need to change meds and just need to stay the course.

Still worried about the peeing being unconcentrated and him going all the times. However, that may be the diabetes insidious (spelling off) and the vet yesterday said she wouldn't treat it because the meds for that disease have harsh side effects. She said if you are ok with pee pads all around the house and occasional accidents to leave it alone. I will discuss all this on Monday with his regular Vet. (her recommendation was to just treat the cushings)

His SDMA test did come back high at 16 when it should be lower than 14. I am not surprised. 3 years ago it was high but normal and can't remember what the results were the last couple years but I believe they were also higher than normal. He is on a K/D diet now and gets no treats beside 1 pill pocket a day for his pills. Not sure if we will just monitor or if he needs to also be on medication for it. I am hoping just to monitor it since the kidney ultrasound looked ok and previous blood work with BUN and CRE were also in the high but normal range.

Still worried but relieved with the ACTH numbers at least. I was not expecting the numbers to go down due to his symptoms at home but glad they are. He was been on the medication for over a year and this is the best the numbers have ever looked.

I'll see if they want to do a blood panel again but because he had dental cleaning back in May and did a senior panel at that time the vet might wait to do a full work up again. Were at the vet every 3-6 months so I don't mind waiting if that is the vet's recommendation.

Thank you all for the support
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!