View Single Post
Old 08-15-2019, 07:21 AM   #13
yorkietalkjilly
♥ Love My Tibbe! ♥
Donating Member

Somehow I overlooked or had the window opened too high on my small laptop screen the paragraph about your sentence about your poor partner getting up nights in pain, letting him out, sleeping with him occas. and now being gone for treatment. I am so sorry and so sorry for your partner's suffering, the famly's separation during oversea's treatment. Sure hope things work out for the best.

No doubt that is playing a big part in your little guy questioning what's happened to his pack, where a big part of his family has gone, adding stress. These personal little dogs are so invested in our lives, they feel loss when a member of the pack is missing. Likely he got conditioned to getting up nights to potty, with the added bonus of getting to kip in with his buddy afterward and truly misses that, feels loss, frustration, pretty much exacerbating any physiological needs his body may also be reacting to. Can't believe I never saw that paragraph.

No doubt he reads your stress level over your partner gone for treatment, making him feel more anxious and needing/wanting comfort time with you. You haven't mentioned any others in the home so if you are left, likely he truly feels the need to comfort you in these distressing times and night time is cuddle time, time to burrow in with the pack one has and provide comfort, protection. And his present stress level can also spur a not that fully-housebroken dog - or even a fully housebroken one - to pee/poop to relieve stress. He can't take a walk, read a book, watch tv for diversion but he can wake you, get outside, relieve himself and then hope for the rest of the night both comforting and being comforted himself by your arms. He's likely really in need of reassurance, night time pack sleeping and any distractions and fun you can provide him anytime you can manage.

More physical activity, walks, ife enrichment w/doggie games, puzzles, forage toys, food bowls will very likely help keep him positively directed, distracted from missing his buddy who's gone and re-focus his worries toward more fun - and dogs are all about fun. Without it, they often can demonstrate behaviors we don't like. And comfort now won't make him miss you any less when you're gone but if his sitter helps him enjoy his new, temporary lifestyle, it could provide a real respite. I'd leave him with an unwashed tee-shirt, nighty, socks in his bed, while you are gone, always placed near where he spends most of his time, to help calm, reassure him with your scent. And don't worry, he'll act likely act estranged, aloof when you return until he's sure you are back for good and one day he'll cave, seek you out, re-establish your relationship. And he'll watch you a bit closely for a while so alll the distractions, life enriching fun you can show him during that time will be good for you both, console and encourage him.

Others here who've been through this will likely keep posting tips and you guys will work through this in time. Best of blessings to you and your partner and your little one and hugs and Yorkie kisses fom Texas.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!