View Single Post
Old 08-10-2019, 10:24 AM   #6
yorkietalkjilly
♥ Love My Tibbe! ♥
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovetodream88 View Post
Joey is a fetch nut and will never stop. I never even taught him fetch he just knew it at 9 weeks old. He even knows how to put it in the ball thrower and play by himself. His ball is actually one of the ways he prefers to train he will bring me the ball I will ask him to do whatever and then throw it and we will train that way. Penny will bring the ball back also but Callie and Ollie not so much.
Few terriers will voluntarily give up their resource as a pure retrieval service, especially males. Of course, you and all doglovers know, any puppy, even male terriers, can enjoy the act of playing a type of fetch at times and if enjoy it, will likely continue to do it as they age; but, as I said earlier, most don't w/out some type of repetitive positive-reinforcement training/conditioning or play at early age or happy, continuing associations with it. Have to see sharing resources as a win-win or they just won't do it. As you know, if you've read any of my behavior modification/training type posts, you can train a dog to do anything if he enjoys it, go against his nature even, but w/out that kind of positive, repetitive conditioning, few naturally fetch. I didn't think it was necessary to add all this B4 but there are always fun exceptions, even with our beloved tyrannical terriers, their tyranny being one of their most endearing qualities!
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!