View Single Post
Old 08-09-2019, 07:58 AM   #5
Lovetodream88
Yorkie mom of 4
Donating YT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkietalkjilly View Post
Most terriers are not natural retrievers, hate relinquishing their prize(toy, stick, ball) as a resource to be held onto, savored, never shared. It always seemed to me giving up their prize wasn’t something they relished, in fact, detested, so I never tried training any of my terriers to go against his natural instinct to forage, find and keep any treasure/resource for and to himself. Of course they are all trained to ‘drop it’ in case they treasure something yucky or dangerous to them, but otherwise, they aren’t asked to relinquish their prize to me.

Some other breeds will wear you out wanting to play retrieve all day long but never found a terrier that naturally wanted to play that game.
Joey is a fetch nut and will never stop. I never even taught him fetch he just knew it at 9 weeks old. He even knows how to put it in the ball thrower and play by himself. His ball is actually one of the ways he prefers to train he will bring me the ball I will ask him to do whatever and then throw it and we will train that way. Penny will bring the ball back also but Callie and Ollie not so much.
Lovetodream88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!