View Single Post
Old 07-31-2019, 02:51 PM   #1
RiosMom
Yorkie Talker

Default Suspected IVDD 10 Month Old Puppy

Hi YT team! I was writing to see if anyone has had any experience with IVDD. I have a 10 month old puppy who I suspect has IVDD or a bulging disc. About 4 weeks ago he started yelping when picked up and when extending neck to pick up toys so I took him to the vet. They thought that it was maybe a fear stage he was going through as they could not get him to replicate the yelping. A few days later I took him to the emergency vet as he was shaking and yelping/screaming and acting very very strange. Because of his age they thought it might be a soft tissue injury. I called the vet the next day and he agreed and prescribed medicine and rest for two weeks. Come two weeks later and he was still yelping and I took him to another vet for a second opinion. She manipulated him all over and found two spots on his spine that were very tender and he yelped when palpitated. She recommended that I go to a neurologist. Since all of our neurologists in the area are booked out two months I went into one as an emergency hoping to see one. I was not able to see the neuro as he was not in, but the ER vet who saw him said that the only way to truly diagnose IVDD or bulging disc was with an MRI or CT. I did have a very recent x-ray that he reviewed and said everything seemed normal with his spine and no congenital spinal defects. He told me to keep with the medication, Gabapentin, Meloxicam and Tramadol and create rest for 4 weeks. I have appointments with the neuro’s in about a month. Has anyone had this issue with such a young dog? He is now hyper sensitive to touch and is super scared of things he had not been scared of before. He anticipates being hurt and cries out sometimes if you do not even touch him. He had been a super outgoing social puppy going to daycare and walks daily. It is very hard to see him like this. Any info or help is appreciated!
RiosMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!