Thread: Need to vent..
View Single Post
Old 07-25-2019, 08:12 AM   #23
Mike_and_Me
YT Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by matese View Post
I am soooooo happy for you my eyes teared up, see, all Mike needed was a one on one, another dog near his size and calm, nice calming walks to gain trust in the other dog.

Yes, keep it up, Mike will learn how much fun it is to run and play chase. Not all dogs get on well with many dogs in one area. Your goal is for Mike not to be scared when he sees other dogs. Everything is done in baby steps. Conquer this first step, it may take weeks just make sure Mike is 100 % comfortable with this one dog, then try the dog park and see how he reacts. The treats you should take with you and reward on the spot so he knows he is being rewarded for good behavior, and treat the other dog with the owners permission, you don't want a dog fight over a treat. Dogs must be rewarded on the spot. Giving treats when you get home Mike will not associate that with his good behavior.
Yes! I do bring treats with me and always treat him the spot. It was one of the most vital piece of information for training I read when he was a puppy. made most of the training much easier. I used to have some treats in the bathroom after we moved the pad so he would get an INSTANT reward.

At first couple of meetings with this dog I had to lure Mike to him with a treat and treat them both when they are almost nose to nose (with owner's permission) otherwise he didn't want to take a step forward lol
Mike_and_Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!