Thread: Need to vent..
View Single Post
Old 07-14-2019, 10:46 AM   #16
matese
Donating YT 3000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_and_Me View Post
Thank you so much. The problem is, where we leave there's nothing like Petsmart or Petco and for a 3 million citizens city there's only one large shopping mall where i'm allowed with a dog if a dog stays in the carrier/backpack.. so you can see our options were quite limited when Mike was growing up. Our vet suggested a pet hotel with a huge garden and we went there a few times. They've selected the calmest dogs for Mike to get to know but unfortunately the trainer's strategy is - throw the dog with the others, ignore the snapping, barking, don't let him come to you and eventually it will work out. To be honest I didn't believe such strategy can be successful with my Mike so after a few times we decided to not go anymore. I will continue setting up walks with the neighbor's dog and will see how it goes. Also, will be on the look out for a dog behaviourist. However, you have given me a wonderful advice and a piece of mind regarding my approach. Thank you again. Hoping that the walks you mentioned will help Cody to have less stress around other dogs.
You are very limited where you can take Mike where there are other dogs that he can just see. When I was taking Cody to obedience classes the trainer told me to go into our town and just walk, there are ppl walking their dogs, well I guess the days I picked to do this were off days, no one was walking with their dogs. That is something you may want to try if you live where there is a town with stores. If a trainer told me to throw my dog in a ring, ignore, whats going on and it will work out, I would be out of that place faster then Jack Flash. You have a shy baby for what ever reason, you can't just toss that wee lil baby in with strange dogs, that experience could scar him forever. Walks with the neighbors dog is better then nothing. A behaviorist would be ideal if you can find one.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!