Thread: Need to vent..
View Single Post
Old 07-13-2019, 08:43 PM   #11
DvlshAngel985
Donating YT 2000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_and_Me View Post
Mike is afraid of dogs. This is my fault of course, but because we had some issues when he was little and started going out pretty late, at around 4,5 months old, and he wasn't properly socialized with other animals. When we started taking walks it was winter and we really didn't encounter ANY dogs for a long time. We don't have puppy classes over here (except for service/police dogs) and none of our friends have dogs. So this is it. For the same reason he isn't great with kids unless he gets to know them well (like our neighbours kids) but otherwise doesn't like when strangers kids pet him.

He started recently tolerating quiet dogs who don't want anything to do with him, but playful and dominant ones he doesn't accept and snaps at them. In this case I'm forced to remove him is he snaps because I'm afraid it will turn into a fight. Which in turn feeds into his fear/stress. We found a couple next door with a small terrier of a similar size/age and I started praising Mike and giving treats as long as he makes a step towards the other dog and/or doesn't snap when the other one approaches him. And it's gotten to a point where he relaxes with this dog around him but still doesn't want any play or close interaction. It's a looooong way to go and I accept the fact it might not be successful.

People keep telling me - let him off leash, it's in his nature, let him play with others, but then once he snaps or runs away from other dogs and jumps on my lap while barking, they give me a look. They say - "oh it's your fault, you're overprotective, you're treating him like a baby, nothing will happen, he is missing out, is he STILL afraid? why doesn't he play like a normal dog?" etc. While those same people give their dogs sedatives for grooming, while my un-normal dog lets me groom him, trim his butt, clean his eyes, and other uncomfortable things. So are we really to judge others? Every dog just like any person has its personality and circumstances.

He IS a normal dog. Yes, its not good, but many other things are good in his life. He loves people, he loves going on long walks, run in the park, chase birds, he is great and playful and loves to play at home and with our friends. He's loving, never showed any guarding behaviour, he is so smart and knows a ton of commands, eager to learn, etc etc. He is my little love bug. My only mistake was I guess not having another dog at home for Mike to be properly socialized at a young age..

Sorry for the long rant.. any advice on how to approach this?

I hear you. We're having a similae issue. I've been trying to get JakJak to interact with other dogs since he came home 6 months ago. I had paid for puppy classes well before he came home, and found that out local PetCo does free puppy playtime. Well... they delayed his start in class for a month longer than necessary, and when I would try to take him to puppy class we would get sent home because he was(and still is) too small to stay. When he would stay, the trainer would hold him THE ENTIRE TIME and then tell me I wasn't working with him.
On walks he has gotten trampled by big dogs several times because my neighbors have zero to little control over their dogs. This has made JakJak reactive. He's ok with the one little oup that he's been paired with at puppy class. It's a shame that he's leaving her behind as he gets to skip 2 levels and will be moving on to a more difficult class.

If you find something that works, please share.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!