Thread: Need to vent..
View Single Post
Old 07-13-2019, 12:51 PM   #7
Mike_and_Me
YT Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by matese View Post
Train Mike to "leave it" if you have not already taught him that. Put him in the baby seat of the cart and just stroll up and down the isles, keep his leash short, just enough leash to keep him in a sit position. If he sees another dog and growls tell him "leave it" then turn the cart around and walk in the opposite direction. You can also stand outside the store where ppl and their dogs trickle in and out, but not stand close to the entrance, this gives Mike a chance to see other dogs of all sizes, if he growls at them tell him "leave it" give him a treat only if he stops the bad behavior.
Thank you so much. The problem is, where we leave there's nothing like Petsmart or Petco and for a 3 million citizens city there's only one large shopping mall where i'm allowed with a dog if a dog stays in the carrier/backpack.. so you can see our options were quite limited when Mike was growing up. Our vet suggested a pet hotel with a huge garden and we went there a few times. They've selected the calmest dogs for Mike to get to know but unfortunately the trainer's strategy is - throw the dog with the others, ignore the snapping, barking, don't let him come to you and eventually it will work out. To be honest I didn't believe such strategy can be successful with my Mike so after a few times we decided to not go anymore. I will continue setting up walks with the neighbor's dog and will see how it goes. Also, will be on the look out for a dog behaviourist. However, you have given me a wonderful advice and a piece of mind regarding my approach. Thank you again. Hoping that the walks you mentioned will help Cody to have less stress around other dogs.
Mike_and_Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!