View Single Post
Old 07-11-2019, 03:37 PM   #2
matese
Donating YT 3000 Club Member

Thank you for rescuing.

You have to remember as a rescue everything to him is new.New momma, new home, new smells and sounds, new food, new schedule and most likely a new name. Everything has to be taken in baby steps, there will be no overnight learning what is expected of him, you need much patience when re-training a rescue and give a lot of praise when he does what you want him to do. Try taking a couple of sheets of paper towel on your next walk and blot up his urine, and pick up his poop with the other sheet, when you get back home put that paper towel and the poop in your yard and tell him pee-pee, poo-poo in the yard or whatever word you use for pee and poop. When he finally pees or poops in the yard make sure you give him a treat and lots of happy praise clapping hands and making a big fuss.

Remember, for 6 years he must have been leashed walked or if he was a stray and on his own the streets was his toilet. It may take a while to train him to use the yard, keep taking him to it and tell him what you want him to do, pee-pee, poo-poo, and keep repeating those words or what ever words you use. If he doesn't go in the yard do as you have been doing, walk him, make sure he knows the word for peeing and the word for pooping. When he pees on his walk no praising but use the word for what he did, same for pooping, no praising but use the word. He needs to know what you want him to do.
I have a rescue, he was 2 1/2 yo when I got him. He was leashed walked, now he had a yard. I was very lucky, he must have had to pee real bad because when I got him home I wanted to introduce him to his new freedom, The Yard, he ran like a little stallion, stopped, squatted and peed, yayyy, pee-pee in the yard clapping my hands and making the biggest fuss ever, my neighbors must have thought I was nuts lol, then he pooped yayyy poo-poo in the yard, that's all it took. I was blessed with this dog and very lucky that he bonded with me that same night.
So you do have work before you, do not loose your patience or scold him no matter how frustrated you get, he has to learn a lot of new things, everything is done in baby steps, treat and happy praise when he does what you want him to do.
Please keep us posted on how he's doing in is new home.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!