View Single Post
Old 07-01-2019, 02:22 PM   #9
maxdog
Donating YT 5000 Club Member

You work for a vet and trust him completely which is great. I also trust my vet completely and will follow her advice to the T. I never said the vet gets a kickback but if you think money is not involved in their decisions then I am also saddened. My point is that I am quite sure there are other options out there that would work just as well but that vets are influenced by the large companies. Spend 2 minutes of googling and you will find articles supporting both sides. But the one thing I just read makes this all very clear now.

– Veterinary diet manufacturers do not have to complete the FDA approval process when changing ingredients, unlike prescription drugs. So, the answer is no, you do NOT legally need a prescription to purchase a “veterinary prescription diet.”

The name “PRESCRIPTION DIET” is trademarked by Hills but is not a true prescription per the above definition. The only reason you MUST buy it from a vet is that Hills only sells it to Vets. They could legally sell it to any store they wanted to. A prescription is not required to buy their “Prescription” food. That is the perfect example of a joint business venture. All other food manufacturers must call their version of the food “Therapeutic diet” or they will get sued by Hills.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!