Thread: Diet
View Single Post
Old 06-28-2019, 02:46 PM   #23
shirleysjc
Yorkie Yakker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junehosta View Post
I am trying to avoid him getting big and overweight. But since I got him 3 yrs ago he has gained 1.5#. Thanks for your advice.
I was told my Bailey(12yrs.) was overweight at his Vet appointment. He was at 7.4lbs., She wanted him to lose a little over a pound. To get him to 6lbs.. I knew he was a little overweight but I had no idea he was that overweight! He should be 6lb., I’m not surprised about that, it’s the weight gain that got me!
We Are Both Grieving the loss of his Mom, he was never alone before and Fergie still treated him like her Baby. He could have been overeating, I may be too?
The Vet thought he had a enlarged heart, on ex ray it also showed a Collapsed trachea, we can’t do anything about his trachea, it’s a common yorkie thing, He’s never wore a Collar or had anything around his neck, he stays in the house? When he goes out he stays right at my side, he’s a mommas boy. I had just got him a harness to go to all Vet Visits.
She said he could of had it from birth, and it has just got worse. My Vet wanted me to see a Cardiologist. I saw the ex ray myself. I was terrified!

When giving the Cardiologist his health history which other than the current Issues was excellent! I told her we had lost his Mother this past March, Fergie(16yrs.) had passed in her sleep. Her health was always excellent. Her loss was my reason for talking him to the Vet in the first place.😢

Bailey, got cleared of any Heart Disease, Thank the lord♥️🙏🏼
But, she found a Mass in his Chest above his heart 😢again. sent me to a Oncologist who was in the same MedVet Facility, an Emergency Animal Hospital, that had already seen the ex ray, and had concerns. I went a week later to the Oncologist, After Many Test, the Mass at this time is Not Cancerous!!! But we need to keep an eye on it. She did also find he has Gall Bladder Disease,😢 again!
He was prescribed a Compounded Medication for his gall bladders, he takes it twice a day. I’m Broke!!! But I know everything wrong with my boy! And, what to watch! The Mass will be checked again by ex ray in a month, she wanted to do a CT Scan. I just don’t have $1,500, I had already spent $2.400!

I included all of this not to scare you because Yorkies are one of the Healthiest Dogs you can have!!! He’s also 12, and Looking at Bailey you could not know anything is wrong with him!
He breathes just fine? All in all, there’s just things I need to keep an eye on. Sorry for the rambling.

For you:
At The ♥️ Doctor’s she suggested a Prescription Dog Food, for his weight loss. She gave me a Sample, lol, a 9lb. Bag. Bailey Loves it! He actually gets to eat more food. He 💩’s a lot more! The food smells really good. It’s Hill’s Prescription, for weight and mobility so there’s a little something in there for his bones! Between the Cardiologist and the Oncologist Bailey had already lost 2oz. in One Week. Please realize Our Babies are Small Dogs and losing ounces is a Big Deal. I have a Baby Scale, and after 2-weeks he has lost 4-oz., you Feed them the amount of food for what they should weigh. For Bailey it’s 1/2 Cup. I can’t get it all in him no matter how hard I try. I have never been a big treat giver, other than some veggies, fruits. He still gets those. The Prescription Dog Food is only sold at a Veterinarians and mine doesn’t sell it. MedVets does, it’s open 24/7, year round!

I would leave it up to your Vet. One thing I want to share is, Don’t use any of the Grain Free Foods. There is a new trend, I don’t want to tell anyone what to feed their Baby.
The Cardiologist said Grain Free Foods are, Bad for Yorkies Hearts!♥️FYI

Best of Luck for a Long Health Yorkie Life♥️ You sound like a Very Loving Concerned Momma♥️ You’re doing all the right things.♥️😊
shirleysjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!