View Single Post
Old 05-26-2019, 08:26 AM   #1
monicajean55
YorkieTalk Newbie!

Default Ashamed but Feeling Cheated

Hi -

We got our dog 2 years ago when my youngest headed off to college. She was a gift to me for being an empty nest Mom
I watched shelter sites every day seeking out the perfect companion. I expanded my search to 100 miles after nearby didn't return anything after a few months.
That led me to our Bailey -
I fell in love with her photo, took the afternoon off work and went to visit her by myself. My husband couldn't get the time off work.
When I held her I knew I'd found my dog.
She was terrified in the beginning, of course.
On the 4th day we had her, my husband developed a horrible flu and had to stay home for 1 1/2 weeks. Due to that, Bailey bonded to him.
He's a big dog person and didn't like her in the beginning but softened.
Now, 2 years later, she's his dog. Sits next to him all the time. Follows him everywhere.
I know it's not Bailey's fault. I know it's not my husband's fault. It is what it is and no matter how much time I spend with her, walking, playing, etc. She still looks everywhere for my husband to enter the room. We've tried all kinds of tricks - my husband even rejecting her. That was worse and made me feel terrible - I made him stop.
So here we are - as I said it's no one's fault - but the whole purpose of this was to fill a hole in me for being an empty nest Mom.
Technically in my husband's eyes she is still my dog - so I get to walk her 2 times a day, clean up her accidents, feed her, give her medicine, take her to the vet. All the responsibilities w/o any of the rewards. Feels
unfair.
That hole is still there - so questions.
Would it be horrible to look for another dog (in addition to Bailey - not to replace her)
Would it be horrible to ask my husband to take over all the responsibilities since Bailey has chosen him?
I feel cheated and hurt and angry and ashamed for feeling all of those things.
Please help.
monicajean55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!