Thread: Diet
View Single Post
Old 04-20-2019, 08:56 AM   #9
matese
Donating YT 3000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junehosta View Post
I really don't want to put him on a diet just less treats and I started giving him a few greens as a snack and of course walking him more. He goes for his shots in June and I will see if less treats and walking more has helped at all. Thanks for your advice.
If you have his weight from the last vet visit and see a loss of just a few ounces don't get discouraged, a slow weight loss is a healthy loss, dogs are not like humans where we can drop 3 to 5 pounds in 2 weeks and not suffer for it. Dogs have to loose weight in increments, keep up the green bean treats and extra or longer walks, it's going to be a slow but safe process. I have attached a picture of dogs and what they should look like at their proper weight. The top row, last pic on the right you can see (what my vet refers to as the waist) the dogs waist is indented, that's the shaped all dogs should have at their weight for their breed. Looking down at a standing dogs body the should have an hour glass shape. This may be hard for you to see if your pup is in full coat, if you run your hands along his sides you should be able to feel where the waist goes in. I keep my kido in a puppy cut year round so it's easy for me to see his shape.

Attached Thumbnails
Diet-dog_weight_chart1.jpg  
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!