Thread: breeding
View Single Post
Old 04-11-2019, 03:44 AM   #12
matese
Donating YT 3000 Club Member

Lovetodream88 is correct in saying if you have to ask about age to breed, you shouldn't be breeding. As it stands right now you have put your 4 year old un-spayed at risk of getting Pyometra and mammary gland tumors at an early age. If someone that "breeds" (and I use that word loosely) and sells their puppies at 8 weeks old this is not an ethical breeder. A reputable, responsible breeder will not sell their puppies before they are 13 weeks old. In that time the momma is teaching her puppies many things, one is bite inhibition, that hard biting is not acceptable. Letting a puppy go at 8 weeks old can cause anxiety in a puppy. A reputable breeder would not give you breeding rights. Just because the female you bought from this breeder is
"still alive" does not mean she will be 3 or 4 years from now or she will still be healthy. There is more to breeding then throwing a male and female together, it's about genetics of the mating pair, checking back to parents, grandparents, great-grandparents of both mating pairs to ensure there were no defects that will be passed down to future puppies. A male puppy should be 1 1/2 years old when bred when he is at his maximum fertility, a male can impregnate a female when he is 6 to 8 months old, that is not to say he will have strong sperm. A male yorkie must be smaller then the female to ensure the female carries small puppies that can pass through the birth canal. Not being knowledgeable in the whole process of mating and birthing can cause your female and the puppies she is carrying to die at delivery time. I advise you to spay your female now, and neuter your male when he is 8 months to a year old, your vet will let you know when the proper time is right for your dog. Breeding yorkies should be done to better the breed and left to professionals that have quality breeding pairs. I hope you make the right decision for both your babies. Spay and neuter and enjoy these babies and not use them as money making machines.

Last edited by matese; 04-11-2019 at 03:47 AM.
matese is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!