View Single Post
Old 03-30-2019, 12:57 PM   #1
Jenna AK
YT Addict

Exclamation Good food for senior blind yorkie?

As per title. My almost 11 year old yorkie/chihuahua cross, Jenna, has been eating Natural Balance (formerly Dick Van Patten's) since 2013. In the last year she went blind with cataracts over a period of months, advancement is rapid and total now. She has metacam for inflammation and has been using Ketorolac eyedrops twice a day and recently switched to Latanaprost in her left eye after finding Timolol/Dorzolamide caused balance issues. She's a bit more active now that her vestibular symptoms are receding but she still has occasional nystagmus and wobbliness. I feed her boiled chicken as a treat along with her softened kibble to reintroduce meat to her diet as I fear years of being vegan after a vasculitis episode in 2013 hasn't been kind to her metabolism. She's terribly thin (about 4.7 pounds at last weigh in, she used to be 6-8) and seems lacking in energy despite extra feedings. She's also going grey at an alarming rate which makes me think she may be older than I was told when we rescued her.

Can anyone recommend a good food these days that's not seen the recall list and has proper nutrition for a senior yorkie? I'm also thinking of shifting my daughter's dog; a 7 year old corgi/border collie cross, away from Hill's. She had her anal glands removed a few months ago as one had abscessed and I don't see the prescription diet doing anything for her besides making her fat and making it harder to move her bowels.

Many thanks for any and all replies.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!