View Single Post
Old 02-06-2019, 04:00 PM   #1
District Yorkie
Yorkie Talker

Default Yorkie & Vomiting and Bloody Stool, A Story

So, I am posting this with the hope of it helping out someone in the future if they were to find themselves in a similar position.

Today is Wednesday, so I'm going to lay it all out as it happened:

Tuesday of last week, Canela and Ruby were doing great in their morning walk, bouncing all over the place as always. We came home from our morning walk for breakfast, and both ate their meal. I had just switched over from dry to wet food a week and a half before hand -- very successfully too -- with no stomach issues at all.

Well, on that Tuesday, as I was at work, Ruby threw up and she kept doing this throughout the day. How do I know? Well, luckily, my mother decided to pay the girls a visit and spent the day with them at my place. She had noticed that after about the third time, Ruby kept wanting to throw up, but nothing but clear mucus/bile was coming out. Well, I get home and you could tell Ruby wasn't feeling good. Her vomiting stopped and, I stayed in the living room with both of them. Throughout the night, Ruby kept vomiting. But it just clear spit. Not even bile at this point. There was a bit of mucus, but it wasn't your traditional bile color -- it was completely clear.

By this point, I knew we were going to the vet in the morning (on Wednesday of last week).

Well, we get there and I explain it all to them. They squeeze her all over, no reaction. She's on the ground and she's being curious. So, they x-rayed her and realize that she has gas. You could see it because of the dark color of her stomach and colon in the x-ray. So, we're prescribed anti-nausea and peptid A/C...yup, you read that right (the dosage is 1/4 of a 10mg pill, if your curious, twice a day). They had also hydrated her a bit and gave her some anti-nausea medication for the moment that would last 24-hours.

So, we go back home and Ruby is relaxed with Canela. Well, about two hours in, I decide to check in on them from work via a camera and I notice that a pad I had left for Ruby to use, had something big it. It looked thick, so I didn't know what to think of it. So, I called a buddy of mine who lives nearby and asked him to check in on her. He calls me back about 10 minutes after and says there's something that looks like brown blood with some well formed stool in it. I asked him to take it to the bathtub so that I could take it in to the vet if needed. By this time, my mother decided to check in on Ruby and, upon Ruby seeing my mother, Ruby went to the bathroom again...more blood. So, I call the vet, explain what had happened. They calmly tell me to go back for some more medicine (Metronidazole). I swing by for it and get home. Upon seeing me, Ruby goes again, but this time, there's less blood, it's mostly clear, but with what looks like clots/tissue coming out too. And she comes to me. So, I clean her up and we're all worried for her. She was happy to have us all there, but she was shaking and had that sick look to her.

Well, I start dosing her with everything she had been prescribed. Thursday in the afternoon of last week, she decided she wanted to eat something, so she had a total of about a teaspoon of food, three hours apart, but didn't want anymore. Friday of last week, she had her first meal (about 75% of the norm) for breakfast and dinner, and she's had this all the way through Monday.

So Monday of this week rolls around, and I'm getting worried, mostly because she hasn't had a bowel movement. I called the vet and they tell me that Metronidazole slows down gastro-intestinal activity and that as long as she isn't straining when she goes, I should be good. So, that calmed me down a bit. She continues eating her food, breakfast and dinner as normal.

Yesterday in the late afternoon, around 6:45 PM, Ruby finally goes, and she had the cutest little dumps you could imagine. Nothing wrong with what came out, it all looked normal.

So, that was exactly one week and about ten hours since she had last gone.

She went inside, and I didn't care -- she knows to go on the pad for emergencies.

And now, she's back to being her normal self with her older sister -- to the point of annoying her. HA!

I didn't change what she was eating, just added a bit of pumpkin to it, about a forkful, just to help her stomach.

So, I just wanted to share this story with you all in case you find yourself in the same situation and your little one doesn't seem to go even after getting treated. As long as they're comfortable, you'll all be good.
District Yorkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!