Thread: Over babying?
View Single Post
Old 01-31-2019, 04:30 PM   #3
Lovetodream88
Yorkie mom of 4
Donating YT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matese View Post
If he's scared around ppl and you pick him up or put him in the stroller you are reinforcing his fear, showing him he has something to be afraid of. You should work with him one on one, take just Ollie to Petsmart, Loews, any place that allows dogs, keep him in the basket, I don't let my dog walk in any store he's always in the baby seat of the shopping cart with a blanket under him to keep him from sliding around the metal seat. These stores are not as crowded as expos are. Ollie needs more exposure around ppl and other dogs besides his siblings. At Pet Expo I would have put him in the stroller before entering, before he started to show fear. There are to many ppl at expos for small dogs to be walked on leash, my fear is the dog being stepped on or accidentally being kicked by ppl not watching where they are walking. I will confess I am guilty of coddling Cody at the vet to calm him down, when he relaxes I tell him good boy. More ppl and dog exposure while he's still young.
I have taken him to lots of stores by himself and he is fine unless he gets startled. He loves people saying hi. Joey and Penny walk the pet expos fine but it’s one dog per person so they can be watched well. He is just so darn shy. I guess because he is the baby I’m like oh well he is just the baby lol. I just feel bad if he is sitting there shaking. He is a lot better then when we got him but poor thing is just so darn shy. He is ok with the vet and techs and staff touching him. I think about doing another class with him since he is a bit better after every class but I have to shake this darn sickness first.
Lovetodream88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!