View Single Post
Old 12-30-2018, 10:46 AM   #5
Lovetodream88
Yorkie mom of 4
Donating YT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matese View Post
I hated to take the prize away from my girl, but we really can't encourage or reward them for a kill. One day they could go after something that could cause them much harm.
The steps that lead off my deck is gated, the steps post is appox. 3 1/2 away from my house (not attached to house). 3 years ago 4AM I let Cody out to potty there was a young opossum just starting to squeeze through that opening, we all saw each other at the same time and the opossum fled, I was able to snatch Cody up before he could reach that area which was just a few feet from the house door. How cute this lil opossum was, I couldn't get that picture out of my head all day.
That night my motion light at the front of the house came on, I looked out to see what had activated it, there on the trash pail that cute mid size opossum was sitting on the pail trying to pry the lid up. I got my banging pots to scare it off, when I opened the door the opossum got scared, opened it's mouth and I saw those teeth, not a cute lil opossum any more. Had that opossum gotten on the deck that morning I let Cody out it would have shredded my dog. So praising, rewarding for a kill, not a good idea.

Back when we were at the old house and it was just Callie she went out for her last potty of the night and there was a opossum in the yard. It stood still and Callie was very interested in it but would only get maybe three feet from it no closer and circle it. It was not fun trying to get her inside. It was a really long time ago but I had people on here telling me I was terrible to let my dog out in our fenced in yard. It was crazy.
Lovetodream88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!