View Single Post
Old 03-17-2006, 12:36 PM   #14
SnowWa
YT 2000 Club Member

There are coyotes, hawks, and owls where I live.

I personally - am almost as afraid with my dog on a leash.

I was in my sister's yard one afternoon when a hawk came from behind me going 100 miles an hour (and actually brushed through my hair) to get a small baby quail that was only a few feet in front of me. It had been hanging around for a while and knew I was there - and this didn't stop it at all.

Because of this, I know for a fact that my being close to my Yorkie wouldn't keep a hawk from diving for it. And, I can't see a reason in the world why my pup being on a leash would stop a hawk. It probably wouldn't even know the leash was there.

It is certainly a worry for me. This is just one more reason that I'm glad my Yorkie has a couple extra pounds on him. He weighs 8 1/2 pounds - and may be a little large for some of the smaller hawks around here - but, then again, some of the hawks around my house aren't all that small.

I wouldn't hesitate to kill a hawk if it went after my dog...and I'd be willing to pay any consequences. But since I have no gun, and wouldn't know how to shoot one if I did, the only thing I can ever do to a hawk is yell and scream and try and chase it away..... And, they are so fast, this wouldn't work anyway.

Carol Jean

Carol Jean
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!