Thread: Alpha rolling.
View Single Post
Old 11-09-2018, 06:08 PM   #8
JennaPenny
YT 500 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shicks View Post
Oh I see. Yes, my husband has done this with Skye also. I didn’t know what it was called. He doesn’t do it all the time. Sometimes he just touches her with a firm hand. Holds his hand on her till she stops. You know my breeder with our Ruger did this alpha roll thing with Ruger when Ruger would put his teeth on him. Puppies play very hard with their sharp teeth. We visited our Ruger at the breeder every week till he was ready to come home. This roll thing did seem to calm Ruger. When we brought him home we never used this technique. Hopefully you & I both can resolve this behavior.
Chewie's Trainer Myra is a firm believer in making the dog understand there is NO fear or hesitation on your end. I know it's difficult. My daughter is only 15, and she's afraid. It's not easy for her to do that. Even as an adult, it's hard. It hurts me to see Chewie react how she did. I told Dan when I calmed down that Chewie is a toddler. She's got the mentality of a three year old. You can't DO that and expect good results. When chewie did that with all of her special toys, Myra was called in. She saw my posture and told me, you have to MEAN it. You have to let her know YOU are in charge. So, the next time she got uppity and tried the growling and chasing me off, I grabbed her by her beard gently and said, NO bite. When Chewie tried to growl and chase Elina off when I passed her over, I straightened my posture, and firmly said, NO. It worked again. Now with the bone incident the ONE time she snapped, It worked. It had to be done quickly, efficiently, and eye contact is essential. I didn't maintain it, but I let her know that I wasn't going to drop my eyes until I had her attention. These are all things that worked for me. The problem is it's not consistent in this house. Myra has told them, consistency is the key. Like toddlers, they need boundaries. I am SO sorry you are dealing with so much aggression!!!
JennaPenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!