Thread: Genetic Testing
View Single Post
Old 10-19-2018, 08:39 AM   #6
Lovetodream88
Yorkie mom of 4
Donating YT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutbutterjel View Post
Understood and I do agree with you. I've actually bred in my younger years so I have a bit of knowledge. I also do have a mentor, several actually/so blessed. I noticed that not a lot of "small dog" breeders do any kind of testing on their dogs genetic or patella/hips. I personally, would think it would be of benefit to know any genetic issues/abnormalities as well as the blood line/issues/concerns before even consider breeding that female/male but that is strictly my own point of view.
I think that the research into genetic testing for yorkie genetics is still in its newer stages or there isn’t any for certain issues and that’s why it is sooooo important to know the lines. Sadly I’m not sure show breeders always put the health first so most people will push you to ask them but I have heard some pretty unsettling things about show breeders the biggest one being they will breed dogs with luxating Patella. At this point I just take my chances because it’s all pretty much left up to that any way (not as a breeder because I’m not one but as a buyer). I buy pet insurance and hope and pray for the best. Callie the oldest came from a broker who got their pups from Amish puppy mills and has had absolutely terrible issues. Joey was listed on Facebook as a 9 week old puppy who had multiple homes no papers. Penny was a 8 month old that was about to be taken to a shelter she was not spayed when I got her she had a terrible terrible bladder infection. Then Ollie first pup from a breeder not a great breeder but a breeder and he’s my first AKC dog, the breeder couldn’t get rid of him because he was over 5 pounds at 5 months he was exposed to nothing. All of them but Callie have insurance. I pretty much gave up on reputable breeders because I don’t think they exist but good for you trying to do things right.
Lovetodream88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!