View Single Post
Old 10-12-2018, 01:07 PM   #1
Cirlonde
YT Addict

Default Chronic Pancreatitis - Any Tips?

Has anyone had a Yorkie diagnosed with Chronic Pancreatitis?

We took our 9 year old, Chloe, to the vet today for an in-depth dental cleaning. Her pre-op blood work came back showing elevated levels of pancreatic enzymes and so the vet would not put her under anesthesia. She prescribed a round of Amoxicillin and Metronidazole. Then she wants to re-test in 10-14 days. She also recommended a reduced fat diet, which we had already implemented after some initial tests were concerning a few weeks ago.

Chloe weighs about 4.5 pounds and is considered a healthy weight. We feed Wellness Core and never give her people food or even treats, really. She gets a daily glucosamine tablet as her "treat". She does have the random bout of stomach issues every once in a while, but it's rare (not even once a year) and usually in conjunction with a stressful event like a kennel stay and it never lasts more than a couple of days. So other than the blood work, she isn't presenting any other symptoms of pancreatitis.

Anyway, I'm just wondering if anyone else has dealt with this issue before. The internet is full of scary worst-case-scenario horror stories...so I may be over reacting, but I can't help being worried about the long term plan. From what I'm reading, this isn't something that ever goes away so I'm not sure I'm comfortable having her put under for a cleaning. I'd be grateful for any insight or experiences you have to share!
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!