Thread: Bathing!!
View Single Post
Old 03-17-2006, 08:17 AM   #14
mstephens
YorkieTalk Newbie!

Question Smelly, greasey fur with dandruff

Help! I have a seven year old Yorkie that has never had skin problems in the past. Since last summer, he has been unable to go more than 3-4 days before needing a bath because he smells so bad! I took him to the vet who thought he might have an infection in his skin/oil glands. Chester was put on antibiotics for two weeks and was bathed every few days with the shampoo the vet gave us (a coal-tar medicated shampoo). This all helped for a few weeks, but then we were back to where we started. I have noticed that he is very itchy ( I give him 1/2 a Benadryl several times a day, which helps), he
appears to have dandruff especially on his lower back, and his fur gets really smelly and greasy feeling in just a few days of not bathing. Also, the skin on his belly area appears red, dry and irritated. He has only eaten Eukanuba his whole life, although I just changed his diet to "Science Diet for Dogs with Sensitive Skin". Chester does not eat "people food". I have noticed the smell is a little better....he's been on the new food for almost a week. I read somewhere that if their food has too much fat/oil it can cause this? I am still bathing with the medicated coal-tar shampoo that the vet said would absolutely NOT dry out his skin, even with bathing every few days.
Has anyone ever heard of a condition like this?
mstephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!