View Single Post
Old 08-29-2018, 03:49 AM   #5
Wylie's Mom
Furbutts = LOVE
Donating Member

So sorry to hear of all these recent issues - it's so worrisome when figuring out what's wrong and waiting for the answers.

I have a lot of experience w/ Cushings - our late beloved Wylie was diagnosed super young - 4.5 yrs old, which is very unusual! He was diagnosed w/ hypothyroid at the same time, which is also very common in Cushingoid dogs. Wylie had Atypical Cushings - which in a nutshell means his excess cortisol was caused by an intermediate steroid (also very common in dogs and yorkies).

Oftentimes, the initial treatment regimen is melatonin (3mg, regular release, twice a day) and lignans - so see if these natural remedies have an effect. Most times, they don't - but it's worth a shot. If that route is chosen - you use that regimen for about 6-8wks, then you do another ACTH test to see where the cortisol level is at. From there - you make treatment choices. It took us a good year to initially get Wylie's meds titrated correctly bc every time you try something - you have to wait weeks, do an ACTH, and go from there. Wylie was on Lysodren (ie mitotane) for eight years - never had a side effect and it worked great for him.

Please keep us posted and hang in there!

°¨¨¨°ºOº°¨¨¨° Ann | Pfeiffer | Marcel Verdel Purcell | Wylie | Artie °¨¨¨°ºOº°¨¨¨°
Wylie's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!