View Single Post
Old 08-28-2018, 08:17 AM   #2
KatysMom
YT 500 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by windwalker View Post
Ginger is my Hearing Service Dog, Bad hearing, Higher Frequency and Direction(One ear very bad). She does Noises, Timers, Phone, Oven, Names, can be sent to alert Wife or me, in general anything hearing related. But is that all?
She can cook anything, will get Liz when Bacon, sausage or anything needs turning, water is boiling, oatmeal is done, food is warmed up or done, cup of coffee is brewed. In Morning I get up fix coffee, she gets on computer to let me know its done. When I finish cup without being told she finds liz and lets her know she can start breakfast. When Liz puts on eggs or whatever she knows its almost ready and finds me to get ready. Anything Liz cooks Ginger knows if it needs attention, also timers, or temp buzzer.
I have trained dogs all my life, even Professionally Obedience and Protection. My point is after you teach Pup the basics, so they understand the "Reward for Good" principal most anything can be taught in 2 to 5 tries. More important, probably 80% of tasks are simply catching Pup in the act, treating and then naming the task. Example, Timer goes off, Pups ears will perk, "Good Pup" and treat, do this 2 or 3 times to set event. Then Timer goes off, ignore, Pup will get excited the longer it beeps, when she does desired action, Mild Woof, treat. Now name Act, word or visual, Timer, we show her, stove, Toaster or coffee we point and "Let me Know", again treat.
Guess what we "Treat" her, her dog food kibbles, she gets Fit & Fabulous food 1 or 2 tiny milk bones, Mint Dental treat after Breakfast and Tiny Greenie after supper
What a great post! --KatysMom
KatysMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!