View Single Post
Old 08-26-2018, 08:52 AM   #1
pstinard
YT 3000 Club Member

Default Bella and Walter's passing.

My partner Walter passed away suddenly on August 23 from a liver ailment. It's been rough on me and Bella. I'm going to share something I posted on Facebook:

A Dog Knows

Bella cried last night. She always sleeps in her crate on the night stand where she can watch Walter and I sleeping. Last night, I put her in her crate on the night stand and lay down in my regular spot on the far side of the bed. (Walter always slept close to Bella.) Bella started whining, so I came closer and lay down in Walter's spot. She kept whining and wouldn't stop. I told her, "You miss your other daddy, don't you." I took her out of her crate and she pinned me down and licked my face. I let her do that for a while, and put her back in her crate. More whining. I finally placed her crate on the bed close to my chest and she settled down. Bella misses her daddy.

Walter spent the most time with Bella because he was with her during the day while I was at work, but he was a strict disciplinarian. He loved her very much, but he expected her to be calm and well-behaved. When I got home from work, she knew she could get away with murder, and she'd run around the house, jump up on me, and start licking. She's such a funny dog.

As I was driving back to Urbana from Chicago yesterday, I thought about how would I be able to take care of Bella if I have to be at work and no one would be home to be with Bella. I thought I would have to find her a new home. When I got to the vet's office to pick up Bella, I told them that I was going to have to give up Bella and needed help in finding her a home. A vet tech offered to take Bella because her retired parents are home during the day. I made arrangements to drop off Bella Sunday night so I could have two more days with Bella.

Since then, I've spoken with others and everyone has told me, "Don't give Bella away! You'll be lonely without her, and you can't be sure she will be well taken care of." Cooler heads have prevailed, and I've talked with a neighbor who offered to do doggy day care for her. Another offered to do so as well, so it's nice to have a backup. Bella is very attached to Walter and me, so it may take a while for her adjust, but she's the only companion I've got and she's comforting. You know the old proverb, "It takes a village to raise a Yorkie."
Attached Thumbnails
Bella and Walter's passing.-phil-bella.jpg   Bella and Walter's passing.-bella.jpg  
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!