View Single Post
Old 08-19-2018, 05:23 PM   #5
KatysMom
YT 500 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeahJo57 View Post
Yes I have, but I think I want to start out with a puppy. There is no such thing as a shelter here. I'd have to buy an adult dog from someone. I did think about it, but I'm worried training would be difficult because I'm an English speaker and the dog has only ever heard Russian. Maybe it wouldnt make a difference, but im worried it would. Also, anyone I know here encourages barking. A loud dog is good and a quiet dog they call "a vegetable dog," and they are considered useless. Maybe that's why yorkies are so popular here in the first place! But I live in an apartment and want to train against unnecessary barking.
Language. I wouldn't personally have concerns about the difference between the two languages (Russian and English) in terms of settling/training/socializing a yorkie. More than just a few domestic show breeders have brought Eastern European yorkies to the US and shown/finished them here.

It is good to be crazy aware of changes the little one will face in terms of environment and function (for lack of a better word). For example, if the pups have been familiarized with pee-pads and walked on a leash with a harness, you can pick up where their training left off. Edibles--well, that's a universal language. Many/most of us try to continue them on the same food (you can transition the diet later). Likewise, assuming the pups have been provided with treats during training, you can probably continue using the same treats (and transition later as necessary). The same is true for teething aides/chew toys. If you are able to continue to use the same or similar aides it will make the pups transition just a little easier.

Barking. I don't can't help much on that issue, as I've just not had experience with a yorkie who barked too much. To the extent that these little ones are motivated by treats, however, they will work to please you and win the treat. Wish I could be more help with the possible barking issue.

Hope this helps.
KatysMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!