View Single Post
Old 08-14-2018, 08:34 AM   #1
peggato
Yorkie Yakker

Default Haven't been here for awhile but need my TY forum friends to provide some reassurance

Hi Everyone,

My Barclay is an energetic nearly 11 year old Yorkshire Terrier- last Saturday he awoke and was his normal rambunctious self, following me around doing laundry, jumping up on the sofa to sit on the back of it to bark out the window and around 5PM I was in the kitchen and he came through the doorway with his head down, his back slightly hunched and was unable to look at me by turning his neck. He was walking very guarded in the evening and then woke up on Sunday and seemed OK - as the day wore on Sunday i noted that he was getting quieter and quieter and when was walking more slowly again and again guarded - I called VET but being late Sunday evening no one answered - we were at the Vets office on /Monday AM at 7:00AM - she examined him and felt that he may have injured his neck, probably jumping up or off the sofa. She provided a steroid shot to the neck area and prescribed some pain pills for me to provide to him starting Tuesday AM - . His diet is the usual Wet Food Science Diet Lite. However, whenever my boys is under the weather i will make him Chicken and Rice - so i boiled up some Chicken on Monday AM and fed him plain chicken during the day and Chicken in Rice in the evening - we went to bed at about 9:00 pm due to exhaustion from being up most of the night before (Sunday) he was pacing and could not get comfortable. Monday night he immediately went to his bed and dozed off. I fell asleep at about 9:30 and awoke at 2:AM to the sound of him vomitting. There was diarrhea (watery) all over the floor and he vomitted once chicken that was undigested (he last ate a 7:00PM) He had a few more episodes of dry heaves but then settled down after I cleaned him and the room up. I finally fell back to sleep at around 4:00 and woke at 6AM to two more puddles of diarrhea but no vomit. Again, we went directly to VETS and she provided SQ fluids and special food to increase the fiber and bulk up his stool. She two tubes of blood and I was able to get a urine sample to take with me prior to leaving so she is testing his urine. As a side note, he receives NO OTHER table food, he is watched 24/7 and very spoiled as far as a baby goes, because he is my baby. My house is neat tidy and no clutter, there was absolutely nothing he could of ingested. He has never had pancreatitis or any other health issues. My question at the end of this LONG post (sorry, just wanted everyone to have the complete story) is. . . . could a neck injury and the cortisone shot cause the diarrhea/vomitting? Has anyone had a Yorkie with neck issues? I am considering an MRI if it does't resolve within the 7 - 10 days of crate resting - there will be NO MORE jumping on sofa or bed and off bed FOREVER. . . . . Thanks for any help you can provide and guidance. I hate to see my energetic man so lethargic and down, i want my buddy back
peggato is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!