View Single Post
Old 08-12-2018, 02:10 AM   #8
Beer Belly
Senior Yorkie Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatysMom View Post
Thank you for the additional information.

Toby poops on the pad, but wants to pee outside--exactly the reverse of my late senior. Our pup, baby girl Duchess/Dutch, doesn't have ground permission yet--so she poops and pees on the pad.

It's great that Toby is treat/food motivated--you have a good opportunity to teach him commands. Here's an article by Jenna Stregowski, RVT, from TheSprucePets, "How to train your dog to speak or be quiet" updated 11 March 2018.

The article referenced includes a link to another article, "Getting started with clicker training for dogs"--by the same author.

School. We didn't really try to clicker train our late sweetie, but I'm determined to give it a real go with lil Duchy. When we find the right training program for her, we are also going to go to school. We had intended to school our late senior sweetie when she just a pup--but she was so small, and I wasn't comfortable putting her in a class with many very loud and supersized dogs when she was young.

Katy and "Look at me." We were rarely separated from our late senior girl. I can't tell you exactly how it happened, she took to looking at me for both direction (Is that thing friend or foe?) and as instruction (I need you!).

Nellie and her toys. When my niece's daughter brought home a large dog breed puppy. The poor pup came to bark at just about everything--and she grew and grew. I'm not a behavioralist, but suspect her barking started as a bit of anxiety and became instinctive. They didn't do training classes, but did try a lot of training techniques. None seemed to work. Nellie had a strong chewing instinct. The family bought her squeaky toys and started using them to distract her. So, when they sensed a trigger, one of them would hand Nellie a squeaky ball. IT WORKED. Rather than pace and bark, Nellie would put the toy in her mouth. She still paced, but she was pacing with the ball or toy in her mouth rather than barking. Now, when there is a trigger, someone just says, "Nellie, find your toy," and she does.

Hope these ideas are helpful. --KatysMom
Thanks for the articles and suggestions.....I've got some reading to do. Yesterday he was at the door barking at someone walking thier pup down the street, and the wife had put coins in a can, and shook it when he started barking.....he coward down and stopped......I like his reaction of stop barking, but not the fear reaction.
Beer Belly is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!