View Single Post
Old 08-10-2018, 07:39 AM   #1
lilgidget
YT 1000 Club Member

Default Leash dependency/anxiety

I need some serious help. Gidget was born 1/21/16. February of last year, we moved into an apartment building. Doorway opens into hallway. Everytime I opened the door, she ran out into the hallway and off she went. There was no way she could get outside the building but the hallway circled the inside of the building. I kept the leash on her at all times because it was easier for me or someone else to catch her by grabbing the leash. Does any of this make sense? Anyway, she now waits when I open the door for us to either leave or for someone to come in (leash attached both times). No problem. I'm always keeping in mind not to get caught up in her leash and fall. Not a good thing when you're 78. So yesterday, I decided to take the leash off and not have that worry any more. Well, Gidget went crazy. She paced the floor, ran around like she didn't know what to do and would not come to me at all. At bedtime last night I had to lure her into the bedroom and quickly close the door so I could pick her up. When it was time for us to go outside, it took a while for her to get close enough to me so I could fasten the leash to her harness. It's now 11:30 am the next day and I just attached the leash to her harness and she has calmed down. What should I do?
lilgidget is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!