View Single Post
Old 03-16-2006, 05:36 PM   #5
Kathryn_V
Out to Spoil the World!
Donating Member

I can tell you what I use on Pixie....

I am ordering some serious clippers from Pet Edge now that I know I can do 100% of the grooming on my own... But since I was not sure I bought a cheep pair of small trimmers just to do her ear tipping, feet trimming and private trims. I got them at Pet co, they are the size of the palm of your hand and were less than $20 bucks... Maybe even 10.. I forget, but cheep. They are very easy to hold and move around and the nice thing about them is that the on and off button is a rocker switch that you have to be holding to have the blades moving! Sounds like a pain, but its a good thing when you don't have it down yet! You don't have active blades and a squirming dog... if your dog moves just take your finger off of the switch and the blades stop! No shaving half their head by mistake! The larger clippers are great if your stripping your dog, giving a lion cut, or giving puppy cut, but face trimming is done with scissors. So is the feet trimming. You can use the clippers to clean out the hair inbetween the pads, it is a super quick way to do it if your beast will stand for it! lol

You want a good pair of shears to trim with and you cut in straight lines, never try to curve while cutting... You can make lots of boo boos that way. You can get a nice foot by cutting with straight lines.... I would go to a local groomer and ask if you can watch for a while... or go to a petsmart... they have big windows where you can watch their groomers... not that they are the best at all... but you'll se how they work around the dog... And how they move about. It might help.

I just have those clippers, the nail clippers, a sharp shears with blunt ends (they cost $79 I knew I wanted good ones) and really good brushes.

Brush the hair before bathing, washing makes knots worse. Fluff before cutting, and start with small bits... You can always take more off, but its hard to put back on! lol When trimming the ears, shave the top third, bare, and clean the edge of it with the clippers, NOT THE SCISSORS! you can cut the ear! its thin! If you are using clippers made for people... be carefull, some blades will cut ears... I know the little ones won't, they are made by whail.. whal, spelling??? As far as the butt and what not... Run the clippers over the area but do not touch the skin... the skin is paper thin and very sensitive down there... I come like an eigth of an inch away from her bum. Its close enough for my liking. The tummy is easy, and if you are trimming between the eyes, hold your dog by the beard to keep um still. I am currently growing out Pixie from the grommers cutting her face! Which is why I am never taking her in again! Its the worst thing to grow out! Its poking her in the eyes now! Its aweful! But we are almost there!

I hope this is some help! If you have any questions at all... ask away! I asked tons... and got some great answers! Thank heavens.. Now I can do it myself... And to be honest... I think i may stick with the tiny trimmers... they rock!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!