View Single Post
Old 08-07-2018, 07:00 PM   #3
KatysMom
YT 500 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beer Belly View Post
We adopted our Toby at 6 months and have a situation that has been getting worse for the past year ( he is currently 2 y/o). He barks at people walking / jogging by our home....also at our next door neighbors for no reason. When we go for walks in the park, no issues, until someone approaches or even utters " hello". He goes full ballistic at our fenceline when the neighbor approaches, and has even tried to nip me when I try to control him. He's a great pup except for this issue. When people are expected, we put him in his crate for 15 minutes when company arrives, then let him out and he is fine. I'm afraid he is going to bite unprovoked, and then we'll have a real problem. What do you suggest....I will not give up our pup, but this is becoming tough to deal with.
I'm so sorry you and Toby are going through this.

I' am not a pet behavioralist, but this sounds to me like a socialization issue.

Why do you think Toby behaves this way? Do you have any idea about who he is protecting?

How does he behave at the vet's office?

Do you take Toby with you to the pet store--where he might ride in the cart? What if you were to walk him to the park, but then carry him around the park--as you approach others to chat?

Have you used a stroller with him?

I haven't experienced this with a pup, but certainly understand your concern that he may bite.

--KatysMom
KatysMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!