View Single Post
Old 08-07-2018, 03:16 PM   #1
CynJoh
YorkieTalk Newbie!

Default Sudden loss of interest in walks

Hi, all. Looking for some advice...

A little background: My 9-year-old pup has luxating patellas (both knees) and they seem to be worsening these past couple years. She doesn't act like she's in pain, but her gait is a little more awkward and she's wobblier than she used to be. A couple weeks ago we went to the vet for her regular exams and vaccines. Without me bringing it up, the vet expressed some concern about her knees, but all he suggested was getting her on a senior food with glucosamine and chondroitin.

Fast forward to now. She and I usually go for 1 or 2 walks a day, anywhere from 10-30 minutes. She LOVES her walks, especially in the evenings when we go to the nearby trails or park. Since yesterday morning, however, she absolutely refuses to walk. We'll drive all the way to the park, but then she doesn't want to leave the parking lot and just wants to get back in the car. The weird thing is that when we get home, she roams around just like usual--maybe a little more weary, but no signs of pain.

I'm at a complete loss. All I can think is that maybe something spooked her on our longer Sunday evening walk? Or she experienced pain, and it scared her? Or maybe running around the house is okay, but she knows a longer trek would be hard on her?

I'm trying to get her enough exercise by playing fetch and running around the house, but it's hard to do. And I'm mostly just sad--walks were always her favorite. I hate to think we can't do that anymore.

Any ideas or similar experiences?
CynJoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!