View Single Post
Old 08-01-2018, 12:15 AM   #1
alaskayorkie
Banning Thread Dictator
Donating Member

Default What do you do when someone belittles little dogs?

I went off on a Lab-owning friend today when he belittled little dogs as he's done frequently in the past. I had always ignored it before, but having just lost 14-year-old Eddie, my emotions are still raw and I decided I wouldn't stand for it.

He had joked about me putting a braid in Jillie's hair before a therapy dog visit to the hospital, which she's done for 8 years now. He thanked God his Labs didn't "require" that heavy maintenance. I informed him that Jillie didn't "require" the braid, but that many of the cancer patients we visit in pediatrics thank God during every visit that she gives them a reason to smile.

It got me to thinking about the hatred that still exists in society for little dogs. Hatred may be a strong word, but that's how I'm feeling. Disrespect for sure. I still see bad comedians making little dog jokes, and it irks the hell of out me! The time for hatred like that is gone in society.

So my question: Do people disparage your dogs because they are small? And do you say anything about it?

My friend LivingDustMops, a YorkieTalker and longtime little dog owner, told me recently that she's seen an improvement in how people react to little dogs. She said it used to be much worse. I hope so. I spent the 14 years of Eddie's life telling people that little dogs are incredible, and if they didn't believe me they could watch Eddie do agility or nosework or tricks or obedience. He put their Labs to shame.

So when people disparage little dogs just because they are little, or wear coats or braids, I get upset. Am I wrong?

Last edited by alaskayorkie; 08-01-2018 at 12:19 AM.
alaskayorkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!