View Single Post
Old 07-27-2018, 05:59 PM   #3
KatysMom
YT 500 Club Member

As a young pup, my late senior sweetie was also a bit of a "butt" when it came to brushing. Truthfully, believe the problem was more ME than SHE.

1. It's easier for YOU to figure the whole brushing routine out with her if you start this right after she's been professionally groomed. That way, you won't have to deal with any serious tangles. (If you don't have a groomer, check to see if there are any mobile groomers who will come to your home.)

2. Little Dutch is small enough that I can "saddle" her over one of my arms, hold her with that hand and use the other hand to brush her. You might try this but maybe hold her over a bed, since even held close, these little squirmers have great will.

3. Allow far more than enough time to do what you set out to do. With Little Dutch, I have started out brushing her body in quarters. So, front left, front right, rear left, etc. I only do one quarter at a setting. Which ever quarter I'm intending to brush--I'm going to get that done before we do anything else. I may stop several times before it's over, give her treats, etc, but I'll keep holding her and we don't do anything else until that section is done. Then she plays/we play and sometime later I tackle another quarter.

4. Face and ears are different. Little Dutch needs her face washed every day. She needs her ears tipped regularly. (More on that another time.)

There are some You Tube videos on groom than may be helpful. In the mean time, hope these thought give you some ideas.
KatysMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!