View Single Post
Old 07-17-2018, 04:29 AM   #3
Wylie's Mom
Furbutts = LOVE
Donating Member

Good to see you here .

I'm so sorry to hear about everything little Jenna is going through. I can share some experience about eye issues. Our beloved Wylie had juvenile cataracts (but no diabetes, it was very odd) - starting at, gosh, I think age 5ish...?!!! His sight didn't get super bad until maybe 4yrs later, and he was almost totally blind the last couple years of his life. He did *amazingly*, even though blind - these little ones memorize spaces and can do incredibly well.

The *most* important thing to do for cataracts to prevent inflammation that will lead to glaucoma -- this is just SO key and important. Most vets prescribe Flurbiprofen drops for this - it's an anti-inflammatory. The drops you're using are also anti-inflam, but you may want to ask if one is better than the other for any reason. In addition, many dogs w/ cataracts have extremely dry eyes -- that can be confirmed with a simple Schirmer test. For that level of dry eye, the ophthalmologist will start having you use Optimmune; then if dry eye worsens over time - they'll move you up to Tacrolimus.

For arthritis -- this can be very painful, and keep in mind that dogs can and will mask a lot of pain they're in, so you may be only seeing a bit of what is actually a lot of pain. I would consult with a good vet about giving Dausaquin (get on Amazon, not from vet), regular pain meds and/or NSAIDS (anti-inflam); and, I'd definitely explore Adequan injections bc they truly can be a miracle.

For her fear and anxiety, maybe create a safe little space for her...has that been tried? And perhaps purchase a Thundershirt off of ebay. And worse case, don't be afraid to use prescription meds for a kiddo who is undergoing extreme stress and anxiety; meds can truly help them and it's well worth it if it improves their quality of life.

Wishing you the very best and please keep us posted.

°¨¨¨°ºOº°¨¨¨° Ann | Pfeiffer | Marcel Verdel Purcell | Wylie | Artie °¨¨¨°ºOº°¨¨¨°
Wylie's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!