View Single Post
Old 07-10-2018, 05:45 PM   #3
chattiesmom
Donating YT 10K Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gew View Post
I am two years new to yorkies so have much to learn. I checked the AKC standards and it says that yorkies should not exceed seven pounds, but it doesn’t mention height. Doesn’t height and length have anything to do with best weight.

My two are definitely not show quality, but both have luxating patella (one already had surgery) and now Max just had PCCL surgery for stones in his urethera. Both conditions require that the dogs not be over weight. They are both overweight, 7 pounds 3 ounces and 7 pounds 10 ounces. I saw the chart that shows body shapes, but I can feel both of their ribs and especially Max has a big rib cage, but tiny waist. I honestly don’t understand.

Any help would be appreciated.

Gew
Being able to feel the definition of their ribs is a good indicator that they are not overweight. Next time you have them at the vet, talk to him/her and get their opinion.

Yorkies come in all shapes and sizes. I had one who was a short little stubby girl weighing in at around 9 lbs. - you couldn't feel ribs, but she wasn't fat. She had a serious case of OCBD Obsessive Compulsive Ball Disorder and spent hours each day playing fetchie or trying to con someone into being her pitcher. She as a stout and sturdy girl. And then there was Butterbean who lived with my neighbor. On a good day he might weigh 3 lbs. and you could feel every rib in his body. Both were AKC registered, not show quality and both were very healthy and active.
chattiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!