View Single Post
Old 07-07-2018, 06:37 AM   #1
markalan73
YorkieTalk Newbie!

Default Dew claw removal: front vs rear

Hello,
I have a question concerning dew claw removal. I have searched the forum and it appears that most people who raise yorkie puppies remove both front and rear dew claws before the puppy is 3 days old.
My vet told me that he does not recommend dew claw removal unless there is an "unattached toe" involved, which is seen quite frequently on rear dew claws.
I checked the AKC site and found that rear dew claws should be removed and that front dew claws MAY be removed.
I have read articles that associate dew claw removal with carpal arthritis, muscular atrophy, sprained legs, and other issues.
My question is: do you remove them just because it is standard practice and more convenient when grooming/trimming nails or are injuries actually that common?
Do any breeders remove the rear or "detached" dew claws, but leave the front ones intact, for grasping and similar purposes?
This is a bit off subject, but I have a friend who has yorkies in Europe. She told me that dew claw removal there was not acceptable until such time they actually cause a health issue, which is not too frequently, according to her opinion.
Please provide me with your input and if you use a different approach depending on whether attached or unattached.
Thank you very much. This site and its'users are a wealth of knowledge.
markalan73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!