Thread: Yorkie Breeder
View Single Post
Old 07-06-2018, 05:47 PM   #13
chattiesmom
Donating YT 10K Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkiemini View Post
Personal opinion here: i onlumbuy from breeders whoa are vpbreeding to improve the breed and follow,breed standards. I do not by from anyone who does not show Yorkies and do all the DNA testimg etc.

Learned from my first Yorkie who had health issues.
Current Yorkie is quite small but remarkable bred and healthy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by matese View Post
Buying from a breeder that shows their dogs breeds for their next champion, so all genetic / DNA testing is done. The momma dog is fed quality food to ensure strong healthy puppies. You can be assured of getting a healthy puppy, not a dog qualified to be shown due to not meeting show standards, these puppies are then sold as pets only. Better to look for a breeder that shows their dogs, that does not mean you will pay more money for that puppy, it means you will have a healthy well temperament baby. Isn't that what we all want. Good luck on your quest.
I have never heard of Hollingberry Yorkies. My thoughts on a good yorkie breeder mirrors that of Yorkiemini' and Matese. Adding my own opinion, a good breeder will prove their dogs/bitches in the conformation show ring. The AKC Yorkie Standard is the standard for excellence. Good, ethical show breeders are very concerned about the health and conformation of their pups and aren't trying to produce yorkie pups that are "off color" - meaning any other color than tan and blue, are too small to breed, have genetic issues and have bad personality traits. Their pride and honor won't allow them to produce anything but the best.

Just because a breeder shows doesn't make them good and/or ethical. It takes doing a lot of research to find them as they are far and few between. But, finding that good ethical show breeder who is willing to trust you with one of their pups is well worth the time and $$.

Go to shows, ask around, watch them in the show ring and how they treat their dogs and the other exhibitors. A lot of a breeder's character is displayed in the ring. Good luck!!!!!

One last thought - when you start talking with a breeder don't be afraid to ask questions and have a list ready so you won't forget to ask the important ones. Genetic testing, knees and eyes certified, screening for liver shunt and other major faults known to common in yorkies, etc. Unless a breeder is trying to hide something they gladly talk to you, and educate you if they perceive that you are genuinely trying to learn.
chattiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!