View Single Post
Old 03-16-2006, 02:11 PM   #15
londonteatime
Senior Yorkie Talker

Default Tashasmom, mine, too!

OMG, Tashasmom, my son will be 18 in April and he's saying the same thing! Is it some sort of fad or is there a TV show promoting this? He's changed so much in the past 6 months I feel like an alien kidnapped my real son and did the ole switcharoo!

Here's how I'm handling it: First off, calmly. I told him that if it's something he's thought out completely and felt he needed to do, he'd be 18 and I really couldn't stop him, legally. LOL, THEN, I asked him to let me know when he was going to do this so I could get his car title transferred to him and then he could get his own insurance.

He said, HUH?! I thought you are paying my insurance! I said, yes, as long as you're here but if you take the car elsewhere then it needs to go in your name and you have to assume all responsibility for it. He asked me how much his car insurance costs and when I told him, he looked really upset, LOL.

I haven't heard a word about him moving out since we had this discussion. He must have added up what an apartment, utilities and car insurance would cost and it hit him like a ton of bricks. He's been a lot more humble lately, too!

My son's going to attend a big university about 800 miles from home and I'm starting to let go a bit. I've realized that in just five months I won't be around to check on him and help him with everything so he needs me to help him make the transition now. I'm not harping about curfews or anything anymore and I'm treating him like another adult.

This is a tough time, isn't it?

Julie
londonteatime is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!