Thread: Pancreatitis
View Single Post
Old 06-21-2018, 07:57 AM   #4
jimmy85
Yorkie Yakker

Thank you for the responses and kind thoughts for Charlie.
She did have a GI panel done with her normal vet. The original blood work was the desk top test that reads a positive or negative for pancreatitis. Within that panel another test for pancreatitis was done which reveals a numeric value for inflammation to the pancreas and it read 217 and above 216 was considered positive for pancreatitis. The first two treatments Charlie seemed to bounce back quickly, but this third bout (or simply the continuation) she has not rebounded as quickly. This third time she wasn't given the probiotic but I'm picking that up today. I was glad to hear the vet suggest a prolonged taper of the metronidazole for the next 2.5 months but my concern is her kidneys.
Her kidneys have shown to be working well through numerous urinalyses and a special test that has been done at University of Tennessee.
There hasn't been any protein in her urine and her specific gravity has always been normal and very consistent.

After she had her urinary bladder stone surgery as a pup I would take her urine for analyses roughly every 8 weeks for evaluation and I would check pH at home with litmus paper weekly. I know our vet is in a tough spot trying to manage pancreatitis in a dog with atypical Cushing's with a med that tends to be rough on the kidneys.
Hearing that it may take a little longer for her to get back to her normal self makes me feel better. Her ultrasound report from yesterday sounded more grim than I would like. Her vet said that if when we begin taper down of metro if she flared back up the next step would be a needle aspiration of the pancreas. I didn't like the sound of that.
I greatly appreciate your input.
jimmy85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!