View Single Post
Old 06-06-2018, 06:50 AM   #13
pstinard
YT 3000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dottiesyrky View Post
Thank you for the update, answers, and cost breakdown. Good that she is sleeping now and that she has pain meds on board. The sutures sound a good idea and I hope the bone does grow into the vacancy from tooth removal. I think in humans they can now inject some compound that aids in this process of bone regrowth. They may do the same with dogs, or bone may grow on its own.
Hoping she sleeps well tonight and feels much better tomorrow. They give these dogs so many chemicals I am amazed they get over them so quickly with few side effects. I guess the expertise of the vets has helped a lot. Nite, nite.
Bella slept well last night and is nearly normal this morning. Yesterday evening, we took her for a walk, but only wheeled her along in her stroller. This morning, we took her out of her stroller and she walked for about 1/4 mile with no problem at all. She even pooped, which was sooner than I expected. (It was two days before she pooped when she had her dental in April.) I'm thinking of getting Bella's annual dental cleaning done at the University of Illinois in the future. They are much more specialized than my regular vet, and they were able to clearly show me on the x-ray why Bella's bad molar needed to be removed (bone loss around the tooth) and why her other molar didn't need to be removed (normal bone growth around the tooth). I was a little shocked that my regular vet recommended the removal of a perfectly good molar, and that makes me question whether the other teeth that she removed needed to be removed.

The material they inject to fill in until bone can regrow is called a bone graft. That was an option for Bella, but they said that she didn't need it. My regular vet is supposed to take a quick look in her mouth to make sure everything looks okay in about three weeks.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!