Thread: Yorkie Swimmers
View Single Post
Old 05-30-2018, 12:14 PM   #10
matese
Donating YT 3000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatysMom View Post

Thank you.

Do you remember how you introduced them to the water? Was their first experience at the lake?

You wrote, "I miss them soooo much." They leave behind such a good-sized footprint. It is hard.

Located this 2007 thread on YorkieTalk, "Can Yorkies swim in a pool?"
My pack of 3 were all 3 years apart, I started camping when I had one dog, she did not like the water, wouldn't go near it, then #2 came along, she was about 11 months old when camping season started, she was my frisbee girl, I didn't introduce her to the lake, she did that herself. I was tossing her frisbee in the grass where the lake was, the lake had a sandy beach, she ran after her frisbee and got it, instead of returning to me, she went into the lake with that frisbee held high and started paddling around, I went charging into the lake after her scared she would drown and got her out, leash on and back to the trailer we went. The next day I took her back to the lake area to see what she would do, and don't ya know, with that beloved frisbee of hers back in the lake she went. After that I bought her a large round kiddie pool, she would go in and out of it, but swimming is what she loved to do, but it had to be with her frisbee lol. 3 years later #3 came along, I got her in July on a camping trip, it was the next summer, she was about 13 or 14 months old, off to the lake we went, my Kajon the frisbee girl headed off to the water, Schnae the baby was not trusted off the leash, had her on a retractable and went running after her sister towing me behind, Kajon was paddling around, she was in full coat and her hair was floating atop the water, Schnae stopped at the shore line, looked and before I knew it was paddling out to her sister, lol, I didn't let her go to far, she had short little legs and this was her first time swimming. From that day on I now had 2 water buffalo's lol. I got rid of the round kiddie pool and got them a huge kiddie pool, Schnae could actually paddle around in it, kajon had longer legs and just about touched the bottom, so if it wasn't the lake they had their pool, they would stay in either pool or lake for hours if I let them lol. No life jackets for them, but I never let them stay for long periods in the lake. My 4th girl came after my 2 oldest passed away, her intro to the lake was, she was chasing Canadian geese, the birds flew off and landed on the water not far from the shore, Matese went charging after them hit the water and was shocked, she never went in water ever again, I was so upset that she was introduced to water that way, she wouldn't even go in the kiddie pool, Schnae and Matese were inseparable, but not even Schnae padding around in the lake or the pool could entice Matese in the water. My adopted boy was 2 1/2 when I got him, he is not crazy for the big pool, I'm still working with him on that lol, he's 7 yo now. I wish he would love swimming as my 2 girls did.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!