View Single Post
Old 05-30-2018, 04:43 AM   #6
Lovetodream88
Yorkie mom of 4
Donating YT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatysMom View Post
Thank you!

Were they all young pups when you introduced them to swimming?

Katy never warmed up to swimming. When Katy was a very young pup, she used to surveil the pool. Early on, before she had gone swimming, she was going through her routine. We had guests, and the little one was really showing off. You know the act--nose up in the air, doing the yorkie shuffle. Suddenly--plop!!! She went in. I had her out in a flash, but she was so confused and embarrassed.

As a senior she would bark at me if I got in the water without her, but she didn't like being in the water either. She had a life jacket and wore it, but it may have detracted from the experience. She'd be ever so happy when we were _both_ out of the water.

Have always suspected that mis-step early on left Katy fearful of water--either because of how she went in, or because of how fast I pulled her out.

I grew up on a lake, and our dogs loved to swim. They would wade into the lake as easily as they would climb into their beds. As pups, the boys took them to the marsh for duck hunting. The dogs were big and strong.
Callie was a year or so when I put her in a blow up pool and she clawed onto me and then after I got her out she wouldn’t look at me for hours. She came out and acted interested last year so my dad put her in and she swam from one side to the other and wanted out and choses not to go out side anymore when we are in the pool lol. When Joey was a puppy I had a blow up pool I was playing in and when his paws could still touch the ground she loved playing fetch and splashing in it. We didn’t get the bigger pool until the next year when he was about a year and a few months. Penny was 3 months shy of a year when she first got in the pool. She will play swim fetch. My cousin had a lab who was a duck dog for a long time sadly he had to be put to sleep last week at 17 due to cancer. My dads brothers and sisters own a piece of land where there used to be a lake house that flooding took away that they use for camping now and they all have multiple dogs that love the lake. All are bigger dogs. Brit who is the member user name Britster has Jackson who loves swimming.
Lovetodream88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!