View Single Post
Old 05-16-2018, 01:02 PM   #12
Lovetodream88
Yorkie mom of 4
Donating YT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by debMtalk812 View Post
Hello all,
This is only my 2nd post and I’m not sure how to start a new one. Hopefully, somone will read this who has some suggestions. My Yorkie was just a year old and I got him at 12 weeks. He has always been very sweet, lovable and absolutely loves people. I live alone with him and retired, so he doesn’t see people much. When someone comes over he acts like he is half nutty. He won’t let me catch him and runs all over the house flattened to the floor. My friend had to go back outside so I could catch Cody and put him in his pen. He almost acts like he likes everyone else better than he does me. I am loving to him, play and give him treats. But he just doesn’t seem loyal like other dogs I’ve had. Also, he is very head strong and wants to do what he wants to do. I do correct him when he has chewed something or been a bad boy. I show it to him and say No, that’s a bad dog. He knows when I am angry. I never mistreat him, but do say No loudly and show him what he has done. He chews my baseboards in my home and will eat anything that falls on the floor. I watch him constantly so he can’t get into something that could hurt him. I must say he is the most difficult and nervewracking dog I’ve owned. Not mean, just head strong. He is loving and wants to lick me and play all the time. He follows me everywhere. I used to keep him crated and on a schedule, but he seemed too depressed, so I wear belly bands on him and have a pee pad for his poo. It just seemed he wasn’t getting the training thing no matter how many times I took him out. I will try again now that the warmer weather is here. Maybe this time it will work. I love him and he is adorable, but I have to correct him so often that it’s not fun for me or him. I am frustrated. Have never had a dog,even as a puppy that is so rambunctious and so head strong. Also, one that is not showing loyalty as other animals I’ve had. So many on this site have several yorkies and love them very much. Is this behavior something he will grow out of? Is Cody different than most puppies? This is my first Yorkie. It sure does seem that these types of dogs need children to play with them or at least another dog. Anyone have any hopefull suggestions? I would like to keep him and for things to get better.
Bored dogs are generally destructive dogs. I suggest more walks, training to do regular things like sit and lay down as well as maybe a few tricks (it will bond you), and maybe look into dog puzzles. You can also look at training at an actual facility. It sounds like he does love you and you love him very much. Has he been neutered? Yorkies are very headstrong.
Lovetodream88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!