View Single Post
Old 05-11-2018, 06:21 AM   #7
KatysMom
YT 500 Club Member

Bellymonster, I sure hope your little one has a good outcome to all of this. Sending hugs and hopes your way.

My so sweet Katy had a reaction to her last vaccine. She was 12/13 yrs at the time; had been given a Bordetella and a DAPP booster.

We spent several hours that night at a 24-hour clinic. She was diagnosed with an allergic reaction. While she had respiratory symptoms, discharge papers note she exhibited both a swollen face and redness of the skin.

Perhaps I'm not knowledgeable enough to understand some of this, but Katy's treatment by ER (snippets below) and the follow-up seem quite different than that which the BellymonsterMom described.

Katy's treatment and instruction:

**Clinic administered a shot of "Diphentydramine [Benadryl] and a steroid injection" (separately, DexamethasoneSP).

**At discharged told she should have 20 hours of non-stop observation and 72 hours of "strict rest and close observation."

**Instructed to administer oral Benadryl (6 mg) every "8 to 12 hours" for "2-3 days."

**Sent home with Rimadyl, described as a "non-steroidal anti-inflammatory," but told to WAIT seven days before administering that drug. Instruction re Rimadyl are further in bold typeface and highlighted include statement, "...since side effects, mainly gastric ulceration, can occur with concurrent use of NSAIDS and steroids."

Pardon typos.
KatysMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!