View Single Post
Old 05-06-2018, 11:00 AM   #4
P Hudson
YT Addict

Default Thank you for responding

This was not his regular vet. When we got Turner, I chose our regular vet, which is located in another town, because they seemed to be rated so well. My husband and I are now both retired and on a fixed income with high medical bills of our own, so we took Turner to a vet we've used before for teeth cleaning, spaying and neutering, heart worm blood checkups, things we consider routine. It's run as a rescue and to provide vet services for people who are having trouble paying for their pets need medically.

They're very caring, rescue dogs from puppy mills from all over and, as I said, charge less. They're competent vets, just not as upscale as our regular vet.

I really thought this would just be routine X-rays, which I really didn't expect to show anything or certainly nothing major. It seemed to me if antibiotics kept him from throwing up, it was probably something related to a type of infection. The two-view X-rays are $300 at our regular vet and cost $60 at the vet yesterday. We spent around $350 there yesterday and it would have easily been over a thousand at our regular vet.

It's sad when money has to figure in with our Turner's care. It really is. We will spend more than we can afford, but it's not unlimited, though I wish it were.

There are internists at the veterinary college this vet said we could try. I would imagine they will examine him and give us their opinion before doing any surgery.

Today I noticed that Turner did not want to play, which we do every morning as soon as we are awake. He became interested when our other yorkie Annabelle started playing fetch and chased his toy a few times and then on the last throw just stared at the toy in the distance and didn't offer to get it. I also noticed that he spent the whole night sleeping on the floor and not in the bed with us as he usually does. He has been isolating himself more, which I guess I've been in denial about. Other than throwing up he seemed to feel fine. But then dogs are so brave.

When I had to have another beloved yorkie put down in 2006, the worst pain of course was losing him, but the second pain was wondering if I had kept him alive too long because I couldn't bear the thought of losing him. i swore I wouldn't do that with another dog.

Thank you all for taking the time to respond. I've always known this board to have such caring people, and I know that each of you understands how much I love my pups. My husband and I got married late in life and these are, indeed, our children.
P Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!