View Single Post
Old 04-29-2018, 08:03 PM   #1
PILOTthePuppy
Senior Yorkie Talker

Default Need help!!! Both Yorkies sick with possible parasites

Hello! Both of my Yorkies are very sick.

It all started about 5 to 6 weeks ago with my 8 year old 9lb yorkie, Pax. He was having diarrhea once or twice a week but it would always clear up so I thought may be he was eating something bad. He would also throw up a couple times a week at night but be fine the next day. He's become a picky eater since then and won't even eat breakfast anymore.

Fast forward to about 9 days ago, Pax had black tarry diarrhea, almost like dark chocolate pudding. We rushed him to the emergency vet and she stated she found hookworm eggs. We gave him Drontal Plus and started Flagyl. I then took him to my regular vet a few days later and they ran bloodwork to make sure he doesn't have pancreatitis. The black diarrhea seemed to clear up for a few days but then came back this past Friday. He also vomited again last night. We took another fecal sample on Friday and they are running a full diarrhea panel but the results haven't come back yet.

My 10 year old 4lb yorkie, Pilot, didn't have any symptoms until this past Friday. He out of the blue had the same black tarry diarrhea as Pax did. We rushed him to the vet but did not have enough stool sample to verify anything. Bloodwork was performed and ruled out pancreatitis. The vet gave him Flagyl and Drontal Plus as well. He had a "normal" bowel movement this morning, but I fear it may come back just like Pax did.

We've been feeding a home cooked diet for the past 4 years to prevent calcium oxolate stones and it's worked very well.

The last few days I've only given them bland chicken and potatoes to help with the diarrhea, but they are still very picky only eating 1/2th of what they do in a normal day. I'm keeping them hydrated with unflavored Pedialtye and giving Endosorb every 4 to 5 hours to try and help stop the diarrhea.

I'm getting very worried that the treatment is not working since Pax had diarrhea again this week. Do the symptoms sound like a parasite? I fear is the diarrhea panel for Pax will come back negative.

Any advice or help would be appreciated, I'm very stressed out over this and beginning to lose sleep.

Thank you!
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!