View Single Post
Old 04-21-2018, 05:00 AM   #2
matese
Donating YT 3000 Club Member

Welcome to YT, your post has me all choked up and teary eyed, reminds me of my sweet girl that I had to put down at age of 17 years old.

First let me say, GOD bless you for rescuing this senior baby, how heart breaking for this baby in her senior years to loose someone that she loved much and was pampered and loved and well taking care of. How confusing to a senior baby who is deaf and now with strangers and has to make adjusts in her senior years.

I raised all my babies from 8 week old puppies, my last girl started losing sight and hearing around 14 / 15 years old, dementia and incontinence started around 15, I never had a dog that lived that long, was not aware they get dementia and incontinence, wish I had found YT when my baby was going through this. There are meds I believe for the incontinence. My baby would pee where ever she stood but always went on the pad tlo poop, I didn't know there were dog diapers or meds so there are options out there for you. When my girl became almost totally blind, her hearing was gone completely the ppl she loved (my friends and family) she wouldn't go to them, did not want to be held by them, when she wasn't sleeping which a good portion of the day, she had to me near me, I was her safety zone, I would play with her, she was still a spunky girl but her play had changed due to no hearing and loss of sight. Her appetite was good, drank water seemed to be in no pain. Then one day she didn't eat, I tried everything she liked, sat on the floor and hand fed her, still she wouldn't eat and had diarrhea. That night I took her to my vet, she was there 7 days,on IV, I visited her every day, she was loosing so much weight, she never came home, her organs were braking down, I had to end her pain.

You took home a 14 yo deaf baby who had to be so confused, you were the one that first held her, offered her comfort, and over all takes care of her, you are her safety zone. It's hard to expect a deaf grieving dog to accept very member in her new family, she is a senior, do not feel bad if she doesn't accept your yorkie, just like a human senior, many do not want to be around children.

My girl knew the set up of her home yet bumped into chairs and cabinets.

If this baby is eating and drinking well, she is not sick or in pain I can't see thinking about putting her down. When we get older the things we loved to do when we were younger no longer appeal to us, the same with senior dogs that sleep most of the time, she in not a puppy any more, I don't see that as having no quality of life. Older ppl look forward to one thing and that is breakfast, lunch and diner. These seniors babies are the same way.

Perhaps you should speak to your vet, see that the vet has to say.

I would give anything in the world if I could have my senior girl back.

You gave her two good, loving years, something many ppl would not do. Your thread is to emotional for me because I remember the last year of my babies life, it was so sad to see a baby I raised from a frisky puppy to a senior that could not see, hear, had dementia and incontinence, but I loved her more and more the older she got, she is gone 4 years now and I still cry over her loss

Good luck in what ever decision you make. And again, bless you for taking this lil senior.

Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!